|Sponsored by Kingston Strategic (NZ) Ltd|
Keep up to date with
Maori News on Twitter
Or follow the news on
Click above to access
the TKI RSS feed
Posted by karere under Maori News
Convicted murderer Teina Pora has been declined parole as he still poses an undue risk to the safety of the community, the Parole Board has ruled.
The board released its decision today after a hearing on October 14.
“Unfortunately, as was the case for declining parole at his April hearing, Mr Pora has once again defied or breached the conditions which he knew related to home leaves,” the decision said.
The board said it was necessary to make clear that parole had not been declined because Pora continued to deny the offending.
“Likewise he would not be granted parole for that reason.
“Parole is declined because at the moment Mr Pora does not meet the statutory criteria, namely that he no longer poses an undue risk to the safety of the community,” the board said.
“It is clear that he has made progress and is well on the way to re-integration into the community. But he has shown that he cannot yet be trusted to comply with parole or release conditions whilst in the community, whether on release conditions or home leave.”
Pora was sentenced to life in prison in 1994, aged 17, for the 1992 rape and murder of Susan Burdett in Papatoetoe.
He was found guilty at a retrial in 2000 and is now in his 21st year behind bars.
He has been eligible for parole since 2003 and was last before the board in April, when it noted a lighter, screwdriver and “objectionable item” had been recently found in his cell.