Fiji Coup Supplement
3rd July 2000
Interim Government named
Former senator and head of the Fiji Development Bank, Laisenia Qarase, of Lau has been named interim Prime Minister for Fiji.
There are 18 cabinet ministers and one assistant minister in the lineup announced a short while ago by the head of the military government Commodore Frank Bainimaama.
- Former army commander and ambassador to UK Ratu Epeli Nailatikau is Deputy PM and Minister for Fijian Affairs.
- Former Reserve Bank Governor Ratu Jone Kubuabola is Minister for Finance, Public Enterprises and National Planning.
- Former ambassador to the European Commission Kaliopate Tavola is Minister for Foreign Affairs, External Trade and Sugar.
- Former Colonial Fiji CEO Tom Vuetilovoni is Trade, Commerce, Business Development and Investment Minister.
- Former Civil Aviation CEO Jone Koroitamana is Minister for Tourism, Transport and Civil Aviation.
- Josua Toganivalu is Minister for Lands and Mineral Resources.
- Ratu Talemo Ratakele is Minister for Home Affairs and Immigration.
- Fiji National Training Council boss Nelson Delailomaloma is Minister for Education.
- Former PS for Agriculture Luke Ratuvuki is Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forests.
- Industrial consultant Hector Hatch is Minister for Labour and Industrial Relations.
- Former senator Joketani Cokanasiga is Minister for Works and Energy.
- Former PS for Tourism and ambassador to the UN Pita Nacuva is Minister for Health.
- Former PS for Agriculture John Teaiwa is Minister for Local Government, Housing and Urban Development.
- Former PS for Regional Development Fatiaki Misau is Minister for Regional Development and Multi-Ethnic Affairs.
- Minister for Women, Social welfare and Culture is former Senator Paula Sotutu.
The assistant minister for Fijian affairs is Namosi chief Ratu Suliano Matanitobua.
Bainimarama said the nominee for Rewa withdrew as did the one for Lomaiviti. Two Indian nominees also withdrew. These are believed to be businessmen Iqbal Jannif and Tom Raju.
Fiji Coup Supplement