Te Karere Ipurangi
Maori News Online
Solomon Islands Coup Supplement
The ethnic unrest in Solomon Islands has taken a new turn. A third militia group emerged from the Western part of the country. The group is led by elements of the Bougainville Revolutionary Army and involves people of Western Province. Reports from Radio Australia say that the aim of the militiamen was to protect indegeneous people of Western Province from the unlawful activities of MEF. Attached is copy of my viewpoint on the saga.
Office of the Chairman
Solomon Islands Development Administration & Participatory
Planning Programme (SIDAPP)
Provincial Government Development Unit
Press Release For immediate release - Monday, June 12, 2000
All Media Contacts
THE THIRD MILITIA GROUP
The unfortunate eruption of the dormant volcano of racial debate in Western Province has taken a worst turn in contemporary history. In the process, reports say that Taro Police Station was raided, town of Gizo controlled by Militiamen and an innocent bystander strangled to dead.
The simultaneous occurrences of these illegal activities have caused me to release this news article, not only as a way of protest but also as a strong believer on national unity. My personal observations are as follows:
- The time bomb has exploded. Its explosion, however, must be strongly condemned by all peace loving people of Western Province.
- The illegal take-over of arms and ammunitions at Taro Police Station, unlawful command of Gizo town and forced murder of an innocent civilian by elements of the third militia group must be solidly denounced in strongest terms by all Christian peoples of Western Province.
- I embrace that the deployment of foreign citizens in the operations has displayed mental feelings of disrespect for the sovereign state of Solomon Islands.
- As such, all persons of foreign origin whom are living in the country on humanitarian grounds are urged to respect the people and nation of Solomon Islands.
- The desired purpose of the third Militia Group, that is protection for the lives of the people of Western Province against the activities of MEF, does not only have undesirable side effects but is also misleading.
- Be that as it may, the repulsive repercussions to the lives of innocent people of Western Province, who are residents of Honiara and Auki towns is extremely high and dangerous.
- Protection against MEF intervention is fallacious. MEF is not at war with Western Province but IFF. Neither are all Malaitans members of MEF. Hence, Malaitans in the province are innocent civilians. They are friends to the people of Western Province and not foes. The need for protection, therefore, is greatly invalid.
- In this regard, the replication of the current ethnic warfare between MEF and IFF in the 'happy lagoon' by the third militia group is ill planned and conceived.
- Any political attachments to the criminal activities of armed take-over of Taro Police Station; unlawful control of Gizo town and ceased breathing of an innocent soul must be thoroughly scrutinised.
- All peace loving and God fearing people of Western Province must jointly oppose the evil deeds of racism.
- And all Christian people of Western Province must uphold the good intentions of national identity by promoting 'unity in diversity' and rebuking racial enmity.
All arguments expressed in this Press Release are personal viewpoints. However, I claim to have adequate knowledge and understanding on the social, political and economical issues of the province.
In this connection, I am hopeful that all opinions raised have the general support of the people of Western Province.
For Information Contact:
Chairman, Constituency Technical Komiti
South Vella la Vella Constituency
Telephone: 26358, 26560/61
[back to Solomons Coup Supplement]